Winner of the December 2008 Best of the British Mummy Bloggers Carnival!


Friday 27 April 2007

On being a mawkish bore

Well, well, well! My last post has certainly ruffled a few feathers! How bizarre that posting something so essentially feminine and warm and fuzzy should get people quite so excitable. I can feel myself working up to a rant here, so bear with me...... Why is it that us women - and working mums especially - are expected to be all trouser-wearing and matter-of-fact about our very real emotional lives? I debated posting that email piece by an American mother on Tuesday for a while, then decided to go ahead despite the cheesiness, because I found great chunks of it to ring unbearably true, but also because I could never have written it myself, being well-schooled in the art of reining in all emotional expression. It's just not cool, is it? But hey, nice to have stirred up a debate! And do not fear, tomorrow I will return to my usual glacial self....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, a working mum, a blogger and an emotional being too! i just don't know how you do it! it's true what that iceland advert says, mums really are heroes!

Anonymous said...

Yes. We are. End of. (LOL!)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't bother paying attention to anyone who feels the need to write anonymously. If you can't sign, get out of the kitchen (so to speak).

Working Mum said...

Thanks for all the support, ladies! xxx